Thursday, April 26, 2007

Awards season

Drama Desk nominations were announced today and once again, there are some real puzzling choices. In my opinion, there were three egregious omissions. First, I was suprised that there was not one nomination for the Atlantic's fine production of THE VOYSEY INHERITANCE. Surely one of the actors in the show deserved a nod, especially the excellent performances by Michael Stuhlbarg and Fritz Weaver. Second, where was the nomination for lighting design for SPRING AWAKENING? I liked the show a lot and I thought the design was terrific and certainly more worthy than at least two of the other nominations. Although, I must admit the categorizing of John Gallagher, Jr. as a lead performance was a bit odd. In this ensemble piece, the only true "lead" that emerges is Jonathan Groff. Third, I was struck by the lack of nominations (not a single one, in fact) for Signature's August Wilson season. All three shows were worthy of a revival nod and the acting, especially by Stephen McKinley Henderson in two very different parts, was superb.

I still don't understand all the love for MARY POPPINS. I have not yet seen LOVEMUSIK so I can't really pass judgement on that set of nominations, but from the word of mouth buzz on the show, I was surprised.

And once again, the Drama Desk people, like all the other awards nominators, has included shows in previews, which seems to me to be just plain wrong. Why not wait until shows actually open for them to eligible? Many shows make significant changes during previews and to consider them while they continue to evolve just seems unfair. It is possible that a show receiving a nod for one actor could receive more if the nominators wait to see the finished product. Perhaps the directing or lighting design will come together by opening night - or perhaps an actor will find his voice and give it his all once he is no longer rehearsing a part by day. I haven't seen much discussion on this subject so I'd be interested to see what others have to say about it.

No comments: