Sunday, April 22, 2007

OUTER CRITICS CIRCLE

Quick post today: the OCC nominations are announced tomorrow at 11am. This set of awards covers both Broadway and Off-Broadway, but traditionally does get dominated by the higher profile Broadway shows. It will be interesting to see what the critics thought this year - the strongest field will no doubt be Outstanding Lead Actor, which has many candidates - Liev Schrieber (TALK RADIO), Hugh Dancy and Boyd Gaines (JOURNEY'S END), Michael Stuhlbarg (VOYSEY INHERITANCE), Russell Hornsby (KING HEDLEY II), the Coast of Utopia folks and several others. Hell, I would even throw Pablo Schreiber in there for his terrific performance in DYING CITY. I don't think RADIO GOLF, CORAM BOY or FROST/NIXON opened in time for the nomination cut-offs but we'll see. Otherwise, I'd say Frank Langella is the front-runner.

I think the weakest field is LEAD ACTRESS - I'm hard pressed to come up with one other than Vanessa Redgrave (MAGICAL THINKING) and Jill Clayburgh (BUSY WORLD IS HUSHED). I do believe Vanessa's got this all sewn up.

The Outer Critics are probably the least prestigious of the three non-Tony Awards, with I think the Drama Desk being #1, followed by the Lortels (which are only off-Bway.) Yeah, I know there are other awards, but those are a lot less legit (Drama League is just a fundraiser, really).

No comments: