Friday, April 20, 2007

HAMLET and LEAR

Two Shakespeare performances I'm looking forward to:

I'm reading on the bulletin boards that Michael Stuhlbarg will play Hamlet next season at the Public. Hope it's true! Is there a finer actor of our generation than MS? I think not. The man is a virtual chameleon. I have no idea what he actually looks like. He gained, what sixty (?) pounds for BELLE EPOQUE and PILLOWMAN, then lost most of it for the next gig. He looked like he was back to his normal weight for MEASURE FOR PLEASURE and THE VOYSEY INHERITANCE.

There is something so beautiful and heartbreaking about his acting - I can already picture him doing the "what a rogue and peasant slave am I..." speech. I'm a fan - I've been following his career over the years and am happy to see that he's risen to leading roles. Those that know him say he's a nice guy as well.

Ian McKellen coming to BAM in September to do Lear. All I can say is WOW. I saw his RICHARD III about ten years ago and have never forgotten it. I also still have a program he autographed for me. Couldn't have been nicer. I've seen him in other shows, like DANCE OF DEATH with Helen Mirren, but Sir Ian doing Shakespeare is such a special experience - maybe it's the writing...can't wait.

No comments: